Thursday, May 19, 2016

Week 5: Building Base Knowledge Pt.II

NPR books is a great resource! Aesthetically, I find that it is easy to look at and it is very simple to navigate. One of the first things you see is "NPR's Book Concierge: Our Guide to 2015's Great Reads." I really like this feature because it gives you a list of great books and a little blurb about why it's a great read.

What's popular in my branch? Well, Sollers is a very non-traditional type of library. Most customers come in for the computers or activities or DVD's. But, those who do come in for books mostly take a look through our Urban Fiction section. Earlyword isn't a new resource to me, but I am still trying to get used to looking at it as much as possible. A lot of the other resources are relatively new to me.
I would like to keep up with Earlyword and NPR as much as possible, I really like both of them because they tend to you give you a little bit of everything.

The title that I picked from Amazon's Best of the Month was: Zero K by Don DeLillo.
Enter the world of this fast paced and funny, science fiction novel that explores the ideas and emotions of death and what it means to live. Jeff, the narrator, takes the side of experiencing and enjoying life as we know it, even if death is coming. His father, however, is interested in postponing the death of his young wife as long as possible through cryogenics.

- I think this book would appeal to a lot of different people. The science fiction aspect doesn't stray too far from "normal," and I think people who don't typically read sci-fi would be interested. I also think it would appeal to people that like a humorous or witty type of tone in the books they read.


No comments:

Post a Comment