Friday, May 13, 2016

Week 4: Building Base Knowledge

Why was I not a part of goodreads already? Great question, right? As a librarian, a lover of books, and an avid reader, I should have joined goodreads forever ago! I'm not going to lie, I sat there for a good hour just rating books and adding them to my "Want to Read." Looking at the recommendations, I don't think I would read most of them. I know they were recommended based on the genre's I liked and what I added, but it seemed liked they were a little far off from what I actually liked about the books that I read. But, who knows maybe I'll just have to give them a try.

Recommending a book to people who have already read so many, is really difficult. I guess that is something I would have to handle when doing Readers Advisory. Some people have read all of the books in a genre or sub-genre that they like, but they still want more, and so you have to work to find something that they haven't read yet. Here are my recommendations for a couple of colleagues that have already read so many books.

Book recommendation 1-"I wanted to recommend "The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman. I see that you've tried to read it already, but it is really amazing in its entirety. Based on your interest in "horror" and mysteries, I think this would be great. Though the pacing can become slow at points and there is a sort of repetition, I think that the story-line and characterization is definitely worth it. The mystery of the orphaned infant who was raised in a graveyard by ghosts and other interesting creatures, really draws you in. And though you may get to a slow and uninteresting part, it picks up again and you won't want to put it down."

Book recommendation 2-"I saw that you have read quite a lot of Stephen King and I think you would really enjoy [book:The Mist|813214] by him as well.  The story moves quickly through an "invasion" of sorts and how the characters deal with the horror of their situation. The details of the story will quickly draw you in."

No comments:

Post a Comment