Friday, May 6, 2016

Week 3: The Readers' Services Conversation

Readers advisory is one of my favorite things to do. Even when I'm at a bookstore, I often find myself talking to others browsing the shelves. I like to talk to people about what they are reading, especially if I'm not sure what I want to read next. You may get a great book recommendation! At my branch, RA conversations don't happen that often (it's more likely between the staff than patrons), but it is super exciting when it does! I do think that its an important way to establish a relationship with people in the community and it's really great when you ask them to come back so that they can tell you what they thought. I do agree with Wyatt-that readers are often reluctant in asking for assistance when looking for something to read. So, going to them and making ourselves available on the floor is a great way to start an RA conversation. I also liked Wyatt's' steps to recommendation: When someone talks about a book, they will already present why they liked that book-which the appeal factors. And from that you can think of books that may have the same type of appeal factors.

In this podcast with Nancy Pearl, she discusses books that are her favorite summer reads. She spends about a minute or two on each book, but her descriptions of each of the books makes you want to read them. She talks about the plot for each book, but that is not what draws you in. The plot descriptions are simply for listeners to know what the books are about. When talking about Treasure Island!!!  by Sara Levine, she makes a point of how she was drawn into the books and how she loves the main character. She also states that she loves the high-quality of writing and later she says that she loves this in other books as well.

1- For the first conversation, I found that customer enjoyed things like the tone, detail, and settings when describing the last book that they read, Eat, Pray, Love. They liked the "reflective but funny" tone, such details as the description of the countries the author visited, and the settings that the author had discussed. I think that that the customer would enjoy Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert, the same author. Thought the reader may not get much variety in settings, they will get a similar tone and details, especially since it is a continuation of Eat, Pray, Love.

2- This customer wants a vampire book, obviously. It seems that they want something fast paced with very particular details, such as no teen romance. I would suggest I am Legend by Richard Matheson. Though I'm not sure about the pacing of the book, there isn't any vampire romance or teen angst. I've heard that many people like this book, especially over the movie.

3- For this customer, I found that they enjoyed many different aspects of the book they last read. The customer discussed several different details in the book, they mentioned the setting, they said they liked the fast pace, and they also discussed that they liked that it was a true story (learning/experiencing). Based on this conversation I would suggest The Lost City of Z by David Grann. This book seems fast paced, shares the same setting, and is a true story-I think it would be a great recommendation.



No comments:

Post a Comment