Friday, June 17, 2016

Week 9: Book Trailers

I find book trailers to be very strange and I'm not exactly sure why. They don't really pull me in to wanting to read something and I have never picked up a book because of a  book trailer. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that they are terrible, which Nina Metz points out. She also brings up that they shouldn't be terrible, especially because the internet is an important resource for readers and that's where they would find them.

I think book trailers were meant to be a great and valuable resource for readers and I think that they still could be. It's possible that some people love book trailers and that's how they find all of the books on their TBR list, but I also think that the book trailer industry is failing miserably in attracting more people to books, in this way. I like the idea of the author presenting the book and why they wrote it, but I think that if it's not done in a exciting, story-telling way, that it may bore and lose the interest of the audience. I also like the idea of a book trailer like a movie preview, but again this could be tacky and terrible and might lose the interests of people, if not done right.

Book trailers could be useful in readers advisory. Like in an educational setting, someone might need to see the movie version of Romeo and Juliet, but some one else is just fine with reading it- I think book trailers could work in a similar way. Some people can just read the little blurb on the back of the book and decide that its the book that they want, but others might want a visual representation or deeper explanation (without all of the important details given away) of a book before they decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment