Saturday, April 16, 2016

Week 1: What You Already Know

1- Sporcle quizzes are so fun... and addictive. Can you guess a book by its cover? I didn't do too bad. General book covers, 19/24. Kids book covers, 19/20.

2- Trying to guess a books sub-genre is actually quite difficult. Even though I got most of them, some weren't so obvious to me. Just another thing to brush up on!

3- Readers advisory rules - I really liked this little article. I do think that reading is one of the easiest and best ways to prepare for advisory and its fun! Rule #6, "Do not pigeonhole books," definitely something that many people deal with, not just people in the readers advisory role. I hear all of the time that people get so tired of a genre type because it becomes predictable - maybe you just haven't looked deep enough. Rule #7-it is so easy to just suggest something that you are reading or your favorite book. It can also be inappropriate for that moment.

4- I chose the following resources to keep up with on a frequent basis:

"Books" -  http://www.npr.org/books/
NPR is a great resource for almost anything, and that's why I chose it as my "Book" resource. I haven't used the NPR site much, but I do know that it is a vast resource for many topics and I thought it would be a fun and interesting thing to visit/read on a daily basis.

"Genre" - http://streetfiction.org/
My choice for "Genre" was Urban Fiction. I chose this genre and this particular site because at the library that I work at it tends to be the most popular. I have never read an Urban Fiction novel nor have I looked into the news or upcoming information for this genre. I think going to this resource on a daily basis will help me with my readers advisory and knowledge, so that I can better serve the interests of this community as well as many others.

5- In this article, a kid judges a book by its cover and it's magical. She has a great imagination. I really liked that when she got to The Catcher in the Rye, which had a blank red cover, she simply couldn't do anything with it. The cover of a book is important in deciphering what its about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment